Monday, August 25, 2014

Freedom From a Schedule

I help teach the two and three year olds at my church.  Every Sunday is always a crazy adventure with lots of laughter, tears, runny noses, separation anxiety.....and joy.

But yesterday, God brought something to my attention.  In the midst of the runny noses, the tears, the hurting hearts, and the general craziness, we never really got to the lesson plan.  Oops.  The type A, oldest child part of me was freaking out and determined that we could make it fit into the schedule.  One of the other teachers gently reminded me what time it was, and that we should just sing some songs instead.  "Songs?" I was thinking.  "These kids need to hear the actual lesson!"  But then God nudged my heart, reminding me that showing his love to hurting, nervous, anxious kids is the best lesson in and of itself."  Ouch.  That was convicting.  So instead of leaving church feeling frustrated by the "chaos" of the day. I left with a full heart, grateful that God had reminded me, as he always does, that His way and His plan are always better.  And that a 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love is always the most important and best thing.  If I am so committed to the lesson plan, but forget about God's love and forget to leave room for His work, then it is all for nothing.  I must leave room and time for Him to be at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment